How To Make A Coffee Lip Scrub In 8 Easy Steps
DIY Coffee Lip Scrub (A Simple Recipe)
In the age of Instagram selfies and Snap chat, don’t we all wish to take that killer selfie?
You know, the one with the cute sideway glance and sexy pout.
Sexy pout. Sigh. A plight indeed for my sisters of the thinner lipped variety.
If your lips are one thing you’re insecure about, then you have it a bit easier than most.
Having thin lips is not a sin, nor is it a crime against beauty.
However, if you don’t share my sentiments, then, by all means, let me help you solve your insecurity problem (if even temporarily) with a cool DIY challenge.
Did you know that you can make your lips plumper without much hassle (it only takes about 5 minutes tops!) and limited risk of ending up on the next season of Botched? LOL
And the best part is that this technique only requires ingredients that you probably use every day and can already find in your kitchen.
I said what I said!
No, but seriously.
What could be better than treating yourself to a great product without spending a dime? And even if you absolutely have to buy one or two of said ingredients, I bet it will not cost you a pretty penny.
The product that you’ll be making is possibly one of the easiest skincare products that can be made from the comfort of your home.
And only takes around 3 or 4 ingredients give or take.
What’s this product you speak of, Karema?
Oh, no biggie. Just a little something-something type of lip scrub made from coffee!
“Interesting. But, what if I’m perfectly ok with my lips? My main concern is how to get rid of chapped lips.”
Well, sis, call me an all-rounder because if you have chapped lips, don’t fret this lip scrub is also for you!
Adding this coffee lip scrub to your skincare arsenal may mean for you: no more chapped lips, temporarily fuller lips, lips with a healthier appearance and are super soft and kissable (wink wink).
Finally! You now have a chance to smooth those bad boys out and give yourself the Kylie Jenner lips you’ve always secretly envied…without spending big bucks on a Kylie Cosmetics lip kit.
Get your very own pair of Kylie Jenner lips (minus the plastic surgery and lip fillers) —no shade. Haha.
Find out how you can make your own lip plumper with the below DIY coffee lip scrub recipe.
What you’ll need:
1 tablespoon coffee grounds (used/fresh)
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon powder (Optional. This gives you that plumping effect.)
1 tablespoon coconut (optional)
A large bowl
An airtight container
What you need to do:
- Combine your ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix them well until you’ve got a consistent paste.
- Pour the mix into the container.
- Use your fingertips or a soft toothbrush to apply the paste to your lips. Gently rub it in a circular motion until your entire lips are covered.
- Leave in on for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water or gently wipe the particles off with a soft, wet cloth.
- Follow up with a lip balm.
- Repeat as often as needed.
What you should know:
Lip scrubs work wonders in removing chapped skin and leaving your lips smooth and supple.
A lip scrub is typically made up of two (2) key components: an exfoliant and a hydrating/moisturizing agent.
- In the case of this DIY coffee scrub, the coarse particles in the coffee grounds are great exfoliating agents that help to remove dirt and dead skin cells from the skin. When mixed with a small amount of honey, it is AMAZING for exfoliating the lips. The coffee removes the dead skin from your lips while the honey acts as a moisturizer…
- If you prefer to make your own DIY lip scrub without honey, you can switch it out for another flavor. Coconut or vanilla are excellent choices! The same applies if you want to make a DIY lip scrub without coconut oil or vanilla. You decide what meets your needs or suits your taste!
Natural skin treatments can last for months on end (depending on how it was made, the ingredients used, how often the product(s) are used, and very importantly, how they are stored).
- If you’ve noticed that after a few days your scrub becomes dry and yukky, it is likely due to the water in the leftover grinds. This recipe (as written above) is ideally meant to last for a couple of days. If you want it to last longer, you could consider using fresh coffee grounds (that’s if you’d opted to use the used ones in the first place!) and adding a few oils (such as almond or jojoba oil) to maintain its consistency.
You can also use vitamin E/ rosemary to prolong your product’s shelf life! 😉
Don’t forget to make use of an airtight container, stored in a cool, dry corner of your house (whether in your kitchen or bathroom —YOUR CHOICE!)
Don’t shy away from making an extra batch to share with your friends and family. This scrub makes for a great gift! 🙂
Now, it’s your turn. Time for you to make your own homemade lip scrub and put Kylie Jenner to shame while upping your Instagram selfie game!