Simple DIY Home Remedies Dry Frizzy Hair Babes Will Love + Recipes
Frizz-prone hair is the absolute worst!
It is unpredictable and has no regard for the common man nor the occasion (whether you’re at home, work, on a date or taking a stroll on the beach, one bad going and wham! You could have the most perfect hairstyle in the world but one rise or drop in the temperature and its “Hello Mr. Frizz!”
I know…I know, we can’t all be Becky with the good hair, but we can at least try not to be Donna from the block!
And what better way to do so than to do it yourself!
Keeping your frizz under control can sometimes seem like Mission Impossible.
That’s where I come in.
Do you suffer from frizzy hair?
Well have no fear, help is here!
In this blog, we’ll cover a few simple DIY recipes that you can use to tame your wild, wild roots!
Take Control Of Your MANE!
While there are more than enough treatments and hair products for frizzy hair out there, I believe there’s nothing like a potent home-made remedy. What could be better than getting the results you’re looking for in a product (without the risk of harsh chemicals damaging the crown you’re already working so hard to maintain) plus saving a few bucks while you’re at it because you can make it yourself; all you need are a few ingredients that can be found in your pantry, or that you can get from a quick run to the grocery store!
Say “so long” to Mr. Frizz with these 4 awesome natural home remedies for frizzy hair and their recipes:
1. Avocado Hair Mask
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse.
3. Egg & Olive Oil Mask
4. Yogurt Hair Mask
If you love a good DIY, then you’re bound to be left satisfied.
The Avocado Hair Mask
If you’re a lover of sweet-savory foods, then chances are you’ve eaten an avocado at least once!
It not only makes for the perfect guacamole dip but is also a shining star when it comes to hair.
Avocado is said to be a rich source of Vitamins (A, B & E) Protein, Saturated fat, and Minerals that not only provide scalp conditioning benefits but also nourish damaged hair, stimulate new growth, unclog blocked follicles and keep the hair shaft moisturized and frizz-free.
If you have thick, curly hair (whether kinky, coily, wavy, or a combination) then you’re usually more prone to dryness and frizz. Thick, curly hair needs a little extra TLC if you don’t want to walk around looking like a human puff ball!
Especially in these harsh weather conditions.
If the more expensive conventional products sometimes leave your hair feeling worse than before you used them, why not find an alternative?
The natural kind.
Don’t be a slave to frizz.
Instead, whip up an avocado mask and watch your frizziness bow in shame!
- 1 Ripe avocado / 1 tbsp of Avocado oil
- 1 Teaspoon of Olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 Whole egg
1. Slice the ripe avocado into 2 halves, remove the seed, and peel.
2. In a large bowl, mash the avocado until there are no large chunks visible. To save on time and energy, I suggest that you blend the fruit until it’s smooth & creamy, then use a fine metal strainer to strain while pouring into the bowl. This lowers the chances of you struggling to pick chunks of avocado out of your hair afterward, which totally defeats the purpose if you ask me.
3. In a separate bowl, crack the egg (separating the egg white and the yolk) and whisk until you have a frothy liquid.
4. Pour the egg into the bowl with the avocado, then add the olive oil and honey. Mix together.
5. *You can add a few drops of essential oil such as Tea tree/Argan/Rosemary oil if your hair is also prone to dryness.
6. Section your hair into 4 parts and spray with water (you can also do this under the shower).
7. Apply the mixture to your wet/damp hair and massage gently from the roots to the tips. Ensure that you coat the scalp as well.
8. Cover with a shower cap or heating cap to boost penetration.
9. Wait 15 minutes or so then rinse with lukewarm water.
10. Shampoo and condition per usual.
11. You may add a leave-in conditioner or hair cream (optional). Twist out and air dry.
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse (ACV)
Vinegar is not just for cooking!
Apple cider vinegar is a popular condiment and home remedy which has been justly praised for its contribution to health.
From being used to prepare deliciously healthy foods, lowering the risk of cancer (the evidence is indefinite) to weight loss (that stubborn belly fat doesn’t stand a chance! Or so they claim), this product seems to be a champ.
But, have you ever thought about the benefits of using apple cider vinegar for your natural hair treatment?
Well, you certainly should.
It is an excellent product for treating frizziness.
It might sound weird to use condiments on your body, but I can tell you that ACV works wonders!
According to the experts, hair that looks dull, brittle, or frizzy tends to be more alkaline or higher on the pH scale. Due to its acidic nature, it is believed that apple cider vinegar helps to balance the pH levels. Thus, when it is used to treat hair, it is said to balance your hair’s pH at the same time as it seals in moisture.
Also said to remove product buildup, detangle and add shine to your tresses, if you also suffer from conditions like itchy scalp, hair breakage, or hair loss, this mask may be one of the better natural home remedies to give a try.
- A bottle of Apple cider vinegar
1. Mix 1 part vinegar with 1 part water.
2. Evenly pour the mixture over your hair, after you’ve shampooed and conditioned.
3. Use your fingers (preferably gloved) to work it into your scalp.
4. Leave it for a few minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
5. Moisturize. (You can add a few drops of essential oil to your moisturizer)
CAUTIONARY NOTE: Apple cider vinegar contains very caustic acids which, when misused, may cause inflammation. Please exercise caution. Due to its acidic nature, it is recommended that you perform a test run with a more diluted potion first.
Egg & Olive Oil Mask
This is said to be one of the best hair masks for treating frizz. The egg and olive oil mask is also often considered to be one of the best treatments for dry hair. So, if you suffer from both frizzy and dry hair…I think we’ve found your golden ticket.
Eggs work as a cleansing agent because of the lecithin they contain as well as the high volumes of protein which is a key component for healthier tresses. When used for hair, the eggs act as a powerful 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner!
The egg yolk is the most important part as it includes key nutrients such as biotin, vitamins A & D, and folate which is awesome for treating and moisturizing your hair follicles and strands while leaving your mane with that #onfleek gloss.
Eggs restore protein and vitamins, while the Olive oil provides your hair with much-needed moisture. If you’re a natural babe, then you know how important it is to retain moisture in your hair. So, a mask made of both Olive oil and eggs…now that’s what you call a win-win.
So, honey! If you seek that frizz-free glow like the next chick, you should definitely give this mask a try.
What you’ll need:
- A bowl
- 1 or 2 egg(s)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Shower cap/heating cap
- Soft brush
1. Break the egg(s) into a bowl and separate the yolk(s) from the egg white(s). The yolk is what you’ll need! 🙂
2. Pour 1 tablespoon of Olive oil into a container (placed in hot water) or a spoon and warm the oil for a few seconds.
3. Mix the raw egg(s) with the oil and whisk until smooth and frothy.
4. Section your hair into 4 equal parts for a more manageable application.
5. Use a soft brush to apply the mixture to your hair (from roots to ends) one section at a time.
6. Massage gently onto your scalp and cover with a steam cap.
7. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes (while you catch up on your favorite TV show, scroll through Instagram, or make yourself a sandwich 🙂 …).
8. Rinse thoroughly.
9. Wash your hair as usual.
10. Continue with the other steps in your hair care regimen.
EXPERTS SAY: It is recommended that you end with a vinegar rinse to get rid of the likely egg odor. You can add a couple of drops of essential oil(s) into a mixture to further eliminate the smell of the vinegar if you can’t stand the harsh odor. If you don’t mind the scent, then you have nothing to worry about.
A Delicious Yogurt Hair Mask
Help your hair lose the frizz and improve its texture and sheen with this hair mask made from good ole Yogurt.
Yogurt is more than just a delicious snack. Packed with lactic acids and other properties that cleanses the scalp (by getting rid of dead skin cells) and moisturizes your hair’s roots and shafts, it is a whiz at keeping your hair frizz-free.
Try this DIY yogurt hair treatment from the comfort of your bathroom, today:
All you need is a cup of yogurt and two tablespoons of Olive oil.
Here’s how it’s done:
1. Add 2 tbsps of Olive oil to a cup of yogurt and stir well.
2. Use water to wet your hair.
3. Apply a considerate amount of the yogurt mix to your hair and massage into your scalp gently.
4. Leave it in your hair for 20 minutes. You can pull on a steam cap to boost penetration.
5. Rinse thoroughly with cold water to seal in moisture.
6. Flash that beautiful hair and take a selfie. LOL
And that babes, is a wrap! You now have 4 awesome DIY home remedies for frizzy hair that you can try at home with little to no effort.
Did You Like This Post?
🙂 🙁 😐 😉
If you do, please leave a comment or share it, or both so that the value provided can be shared with someone else!